40 years after the massacre at Thammasat University, and Thailand is again under a under the boot of a military dictatorship.
The 6 October 1976 attack on students and supporters by rightist and royalist vigilantes was supported and promoted by elements in the police, military and palace.
This year, we link to just a few of the stories that have become available because it is the 40th anniversary of those tragic and brutal events:
- Khaosod has a story by the AP photographer Neal Ulevich who captured the iconic images of the royalists and rightists involved in unspeakable acts of cruelty and violence.
- Searching YouTube with “AP archive Thailand 1976” produces video from the time.
- Australia’s ABC reflects on those events.
- The Bangkok Post has had a series on the events and aftermath. This one was particularly interesting.
- Remembering is a theme this year. On that theme, this post is worth reviewing.
The military dictatorship prefers that Thais do not remember such events.